Home Officers Education Oakwood
Monument
Join the Camp Camp History Biography of Maj. Littlefiled

Photos

Links

Contact Us
History of Camp 59

       

The Original Major George Washington Littlefield camp was formed in 1898, two years after the founding of the National Sons of Confederate Veterans.

On December 4th, 1977 compatriots from Austin, Texas met and rechartered the camp under the name Maj. George W. Littlefield Camp #59. Since then, the camp has hosted four division conventions, 1980, 1984, 1996 and 2001. The camp has continued to grow and now has over 65 members.

The camp is very active in re-enactments, living history demonstrations, parades, and most importantly, grave marker dedications at Confederate soldiers' burial sites. Members have participated in the major 125th anniversary re-enactments at Shiloh, Franklin, Gettysburg and Pleasant Hill. Members were responsible for headstone cleaning and confederate documentation at Oakwood Cemetery in Austin.

The camp is involved in the adopt-a-highway program, and is responsible for a 2-mile section of Camp Ben McCullough road in Travis and Hays counties.

The Maj. George W. Littlefield Camp #59 meets the second Wednesday of every month except December. Mess call is at 6 pm. We currently meet at Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar, 9070 Research Blvd. #101 in Austin.

Following good food and great fellowship, there is a short historical program followed by the business session. Everyone is welcome to attend including interested guests, prospective members and especially family members. Membership is open to all males over 12 who are descendants of confederate veterans or confederate government officials. So "Ya'll come in and set a spell".

For information on joining Camp #59 and the Sons of Confederate Veterans contact:

Public Information Officer Marshall Davis

 


B2B osCommerce themes and templates